2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp each: ground ginger, turmeric, cumin seeds
8 oz red lentils
2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
3-4 tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 Tbps butter
2 tsps or more red curry powder
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups fresh spinach (optional)
- Bring water to a boil and add ginger, turmeric and cumin seeds.
- Add the red lentils and lower heat to simmer, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook until lentils become soft.
- Stir occassionally to prevent sticking.
- Heat butter in a skillet and saute onion and pepper until onions begin to brown.
- Add curry powder and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes.
- Add the lentil mixture.
- Cook for another minute or two.
- Add fresh spinach, if desired, cook until just wilted, and serve over rice.