I love this as a main dish. Serve it with pita chips or a good, rustic bread with olive oil. It is also ideal for a tapas party dish. This recipe comes from Smitten Kitchen.
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups good bread, crust removed, cut into 1/2 inch cube
- 1/2 t cumin
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T white wine vinegar (or red)
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce ( I had an open jar of "Hot Sicilian", a current favorite)
- 1 10 oz package pre-washed spinach
- smoked paprika to sprinkle on top, optional
- lemon juice to drizzle on top, optional
- In a deep skillet, heat 2 T olive oil. Fry the bread cubes until they are golden (about 3-4 minutes) then add the remaining olive oil, garlic, cumin, and crushed red pepper.
- Transfer to blender or food processor, add vinegar, and process to a coarse, crumbly paste.
- Return to skillet. Add garbanzos and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are hot and thoroughly coated.
- Add spinach to mixture in pan. Stir gently until spinach is just wilted (more if you prefer).
- Drizzle with lemon juice and add a dusting of smoke paprika, if you like.