Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ginger Brandy Cheesecake



Wow! I rarely make desserts, but this recipe was irresistible. I made this for Christmas Eve.

I am excited to finally own my very first spring form pan. This one is Nordic Ware, and was only $10.00. It did not leak one drop.

I discovered that cheesecake - at least this one - is not very difficult, and it is not very complicated, but for some reason, it took me forever to assemble the ingredients. I am attributing that to a lack of organization, and do not think it is an accurate reflection of the difficulty level of this recipe.

GINGER BRANDY CHEESECAKE

CRUST
2 cups ginger snap crumbs (make them in a food processor or blender)
5 Tbs melted butter
Mix together well. Press into botton of a 10" springform pan. (I used a 9 inch and it turned out fine.)

FILLING
12 oz cream cheese, softened, lowfat OK
1 1/2 cups sour cream or yogurt or a combination
4 eggs (can omit some or all yolks)
1/4 cup honey or sugar, adjust to taste (I used honey)
1/4 cup brandy or cognac (they are the same thing)
2 Tbs finely grated ginger (I use a little hand held cheese grater)
a dash of salt

1) Preheat oven to 350
2) Whip everything together until smooth.
3) Pour onto crust in springform pand. Bake for 40 minutes or until center is firm to the touch and edges are slightly brown. Cool completely before removing pan rim and glazing.

GLAZE (optional, but delicious!)
2 Tbs cornstarch
3/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbs honey or sugar
1 Tbs brandy or cognac
1/2 tsp orange rind
candied (crystalized) ginger cut into strips (optional)

1) Place cornstarch in a small saucepan. Whisk in the orange juice.
2) Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until smooth and glossy. About 5 minutes.
30 Remove from heat, whisk in remaining ingredients except the candied ginger. Pour hot glaze onto cooled cheesecake, spreading it evenly. Garnish with candied ginger strips. Chill thoroughly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment